If you have a knack for helping people with their writing, a career as a proofreader is a viable choice. You will help to perfect copy so that information can be released to the world.
This Proofread Anywhere review provides all of the information that you need about this course. It will show you what you will learn so that you can determine if it provides the knowledge that you need to get started as a professional proofreader.
Introduction to Proofreading and Why It is a Viable Business Idea
This element of our Proofread Anywhere review looks at what a proofreader does. It also helps you to see why there is still a large market for qualified proofreaders in every industry.
Proofreaders work to ensure that copy and content are free from mistakes before it is published. There is a need for proofreaders in every industry since all companies want to ensure that documents, memos, emails, training manuals and other materials do not contain errors.
Proofreaders have several responsibilities that can vary depending on the industry they are working in and the needs of a particular client.
- Checking digital and written work for errors
- Ensuring that materials match the voice of a company’s brand
- Correcting spelling, punctuation, usage, grammar, syntax and consistency errors
- Crosschecking data and references to ensure accuracy
- Making sure that materials match the voice of specific campaigns
- Collaborating with writers and editors
- Helping to improve the editing process
Despite grammar checker software being common in the publishing world, there is still a strong need for people who can manually proofread copy. Software can make mistakes, so companies usually use the services of a proofreader to make sure that copy is flawless before publishing it.
Many companies, especially small businesses, usually contract proofreaders that they can use as the need arises. This allows proofreaders to create their own business and serve an array of clients.
The majority of proofreading professionals work from home, so you can contract with clients all over the world. You can choose between working part-time of full-time, depending on your goals and preferences.
What is Proofread Anywhere?
In this section of our Proofread Anywhere we will focus on what the program is. This allows you to determine if it is ideal for your needs.
Proofread Anywhere is a course that is designed to help people to learn how to become competent and effective proofreaders.
The basics of the general proofreading course include:
- Information about how you can get started as a freelance proofreader when you have no previous experience in this field
- More than 40 lessons that are spread out among eight modules to teach you the basics of proofreading, as well as advanced skills and techniques
- You not only learn the mechanics of proofreading, but you also gain knowledge about how to find clients via marketing your services
- A final examination that requires a passing rate of 90 percent or higher
- You get a Certificate of Completion to prove that you successfully completed the course
- After successful completion, you get full access to the Proofread Anywhere Self-Publishing School Preferred
- Outsourcer Rolodex so that you can start pitching clients
The basics of the general transcript proofreading course include:
- Learn how to proofread transcripts so that you can offer this niche service to your clients
- This course consists of 55 units and nine modules that help you with practice and theory
- On the cumulative final examinations, you need a score that is at least 90 percent
- Upon successful completion of the course, you receive a Certificate of Completion
Both of these courses have a free workshop or intro course. This allows you to see what they have to offer without committing to the full course.
This course is designed for people with no previous experience in this industry. This means that if you want to break into this industry, this course provides all of the information necessary to help you to meet your goals.
Who’s Behind Proofread Anywhere?
It is important to know who created the program so that you can ensure that their credentials match up with what they are offering. In this section of our Proofread Anywhere we will look at who created he course.
Caitlin Pyle created Proofread Anywhere. She spent a year in college abroad in Germany. She says that she was helping her fellow students to proofread their essays, and this is where her passion for proofreading began.
Her passion for proofreading continued. In 2012, she started helping court reporters by proofreading their transcripts so that they were free of errors. Due to her talents, between 2012 and 2014, transcript proofreading became her primary income source.
She wanted to help other people to pursue their passion of proofreading. This resulted in Proofread Anywhere. She not only wanted to help people to break into the world of proofreading, but she wanted them to be able to do it from anywhere in the world.
Inside the Proofread Anywhere Course
This part of our Proofread Anywhere review focuses on what is involved in the course. This information is imperative because it lets you determine if it will provide the knowledge that you require to become a proficient proofreader.
Proofread Anywhere General Proofreading Course
This course takes approximately one month to complete. It is broken down into eight modules.
Module One: General Proofreading Introduction
This module will discuss who needs a proofreader, the difference between editing and proofreading and the skills you need so that you can be a successful proofreader.
Module Two: Developing a Proofreading Mindset
This module focuses on the different markets that need proofreaders so that you can decide if you want to work in a niche. You will also learn common industry terms.
Module Three: Proofreading Basics
Here you will learn about the errors that people commonly make so that you know what to look for when you are proofreading. You will have practice worksheets that let you test your skills.
Module Four: Proofreading Methods and Practice
There are four proofreading methods that you will learn about in this module. You get the information necessary to determine how to make them work for you. There are sample practice jobs that let you test your skills.
Module Five: Transforming Proofreading into a Business
The previous modules allow you to develop the skills necessary to be a proficient proofreader. This module focuses on turning your skills into a business. You will learn how to create an effective resume and website, and how to set your rates as a professional proofreader.
Module Six: Looking for Jobs
This module will help you to develop a job-hunting strategy. It shows you a variety of methods that you can use to find clients.
Module Seven: What to Do Once You Get a Job
This module helps you to navigate the world once you start working as a professional proofreader. You will learn about determining your client’s preferences and how to build relationships and network with other proofreaders. This module also helps you learn more about billing your clients.
Module Eight: The Freelancing Life
Since working as a freelancer is much different than being an employee, this module puts focus on this element of being a professional proofreader. You will learn how to structure your day and how to be confident so that you can continue to grow your proofreading business.
As part of this course, there are four bonus resources that you will receive. These focus on how to help you improve your proofreading skills and your abilities as a business owner.
The guides include:
- Look Better in Writing
- The Ultimate Freelancer Tax Guide
- The Mindset Mastery Guide
- Five Mindset Shifts for Goal-Crushing Confidence
Proofread Anywhere General Transcript Proofreading Course
This course takes approximately two to four months to complete. There are nine modules that you have to complete.
Module One: Introduction to Transcript Proofreading
- Unit One: Course tour and introduction
- Unit Two: The necessary skills to proofread transcripts
- Unit Three: Defining court reporters, transcripts and stenographers
- Unit Four: How a transcript is created
- Unit Five: EUOs vs depositions, the elements of various transcript types and guidelines for interpreted proceedings
- Unit Six: Anatomy of a transcript (this unit also includes a quiz)
- Unit Seven: Additional introductory resources
Module Two: Nuts and Bolts of Transcripts
- Unit One: Types of errors
- Unit Two: Format of transcripts
- Unit Three: Words that are commonly misused
- Unit Four: Looking up medical terms and common legal terms list
- Unit Five: British vs. American spelling and additional spelling information
- Unit Six: Comma rules that are often violated in transcripts
- Unit Seven: Worksheet and lesson on apostrophes
- Unit Eight: Practice and rules for punctuation
- Unit Nine: Capitalization rules associated with transcripts
Modules Three, Four and Five
- 50 practice transcripts
- Research strategies associated with the proper spelling of things, places and people
- Extensive proofreading checklist
Modules Six and Seven: Business Procedures and Correspondence
- Learning effective communication techniques to use with agencies and court reporters
- Understanding why you need a customized preference sheet with all individual reports
- Proper billing procedures, negotiating, rates and follow-up
- Preparing to meet court reporters
- Learning how to read an input sheet to interpret reporter preferences
- Taxes and budgeting
Module Eight: Marketing
- Learn personalized, authentic marketing methods to find potential clients
- Creating a professional resume
- Polishing and acquiring the skills to serve your clients
- Building your web presence via social media
Module Nine: Success Mindset
- Learn how to deal with negative people and influences
- Overcome any fears that you have so that you can build a successful proofreading business
- Create success in all parts of your life
Using the information in this Proofread Anywhere review section, you can see that the course is comprehensive. It ensures that you will learn the knowledge necessary to best serve your clients.
How Much is Proofread Anywhere?
This section of our Proofread Anywhere review looks at the cost of the course.
There are two options for the Proofread Anywhere General Proofreading Course:
- Ignite: The cost is $497.00. This is a one-time payment, it includes lifetime access to the course and there is one course.
- Ignite Plus: This option is $597.00 and a one-time payment. You get all of the Ignite elements, as well as a hand-graded examination, a listing in the SPS Preferred Outsourcer Rolodex, a Certificate of Completion and a marketing mastermind group membership.
For the Proofread Anywhere General Transcript Proofreading Course, there is a one-time fee of $1,174.00. This gives you access to the full program. Other options include:
- Seven-day access to Beginner Basecamp for $77.00
- Access to modules one and two of Jumpstart for $197.00
- Access to modules one through five of NextSteps for $400.00
- Lifetime access to modules one through nine of Launch and Earn for $500.00
How Much Money Can Be Made with Proofread Anywhere?
Before getting into a new career, looking at the earning potential is one of the most important elements. This part of our Proofread Anywhere review focuses on how much a proofreader can earn.
The average salary for a proofreader is $50,846.00. This was as of February 2019 in the United States. The salary range is $44,618.00 to $58,064.00.
Several factors come into play when determining how much money a professional proofreader can earn. Having training in proofreading, your level of experience with proofreading, if you choose a niche, such as transcript proofreading, and the clients that you work with all influence your earning potential.
Proofread Anywhere Review Final Conclusion
This concludes our Proofread Anywhere review. Our verdict is that we recommend Proofread Anywhere and believe that it is the best course to help you learn how to be an effective proofreader.
The course allows you to develop the right skills so that you are able to efficiently proofread all types of copy and content.
It’s designed to ensure that beginners can develop their proofreading skills from the foundational elements to more advanced skills. When you complete the course you should be fully capable of transcribing documents that are flawless and ready for publishing.